Friday, August 14, 2015

The Highs and Lows of Rocking Red Hair

Being a ginger has a lovely amount of highs and a not so lovely amount of lows. I’ve had this wild red hair since I was a wild little kid, and I honestly believe it has helped shape my personality. Those of us who have to struggle with the idea that our beauty doesn’t come in the same shape/size/look as what the media says it should be came out on the other side a little bit tougher. I personally made it through with a lot more confidence than many girls and women my age. So despite the various lows that come with having the sun on my head, it’s been a pretty great ride.

The majority of the lows that accompany my hair aren’t actually about my hair at all. They’re about everyone and their mother’s comments on my hair. Because everyone, and I mean everyone, has something to say about it.

“Oh god I’d hate to be a ginger” Yes someone actually said this to a teenage me. No, I didn’t slap them.

“It’s so pretty! But I wouldn’t want it.” Oh darn, I was totally gonna chop it off and give it to you *insert eye roll*

“Has anyone ever said you look like Brave?!” Firstly, her name’s Merida. Secondly, of course they have! We’re fucking twins! (This one isn’t irritating by itself, but the quantity I’ve received from every.single.person I’ve met has worn off the charm of being compared to a Disney princess.)

“I bet you’re a firecracker/have a temper/are feisty” Golly, I just looove it when people make assumptions on my personality based on my appearance.

These are all things anyone with a basic sense of manners would know not to say, but unfortunately there are those who don’t seem to have this sense. I do my best to respond politely with a smile and move on as quickly as possible. I’m a firm believer in rolling with the punches. These people are in my life for a total of ten seconds and there’s no point in letting a moment that small ruin my day.

The perks last much longer and have a greater impact on my life.

I’m used to having eyes on me, so making presentations or just being in a public space doesn’t cause a lot of anxiety. Thumbs up for that one!

I’m unique! There’s no one out there with hair exactly like mine and I love it. People actually destroy their hair trying to get it like mine. It’s a blessing to have it naturally.

I’m not easily forgettable, and in life that’s exactly what I need to be. I want to make an impact and I can do that from the very start of any journey I take because no one forgets meeting this ginger J

Confidence isn’t as common as I’d like it to be. Our entire media culture is based on the idea that you’re not good enough, and I don’t want to be brainwashed into thinking I should change myself in order to fit in the mold. I like my hair and I want everyone to like theirs too. In fact, go a little further and just like all of yourself.

-E.B


Who am I kidding, it’s awesome being compared to a Disney princess. This is me officially taking it off the cons list. Thank you to anyone who’s ever compared me to Merida, she’s legit! I love it!


2 comments:

  1. I was at Disneyland the other day and saw her! She waved at me! Your hair actually looks like hers, so pretty!
    sally-speaks.blogspot.co.uk
    Sally x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly, you're so lucky! I neeeed to go back to Disneyland!!! I waited in line with a group of little toddlers just to get this picture haha! And second, thanks so much!

      Delete