Saturday, September 19, 2015

My Money Goals


Fuck it’s been a busy week. I’ve barely had time to think, so my new and improved schedule went straight out the window. Rugby, school, and looking for a job have me running around like a chicken with my head cut off. And honestly that’s not a bad thing, it’s just taking some getting used to.

Today I want to talk about something that’s definitely on a lot of people’s minds. I hate to think about it, but I’ve got a lot of money issues. I’m paying for my own rent with my savings because I have yet to find a job and rugby dues are coming up. Unfortunately there’s an extra dose of reality when you join a club sport in college: nothing’s for free.

The thing is, if you want to be really good at a sport you have to eat right and take a shit ton of vitamin supplements. Unfortunately a single bunch of spinach costs the same as six packs of ramen, so you can understand the struggle there. I didn’t think vitamins would be such a necessary thing, but the longer I play the more I realize I need them. Rugby is a much tougher sport than anything I’ve ever played, on the field and on my body. It’s full contact with a lot of running; that’s the kind of thing that kills your joints. So in comes these programs for weight loss, getting lean, and supporting my body in general but I.can’t.pay.for.it. It’s starting to get frustrating.

Here are my new money goals for the rest of the semester:

Get a job. I really can’t emphasize enough how desperate I am for employment. And it’s not like I’m not looking. I’ve got a few places lined up, but they’re taking their sweet time with the interview process. One of them, a local pizza place, is saying I might be able to start next week. Till then I’ll keep on looking.

Save as much as possible! I’m gonna take out enough of my paycheck to pay rent and save the rest. All my other spending is gonna have to come from tips. I think I can make it work.

Buy for quality. I could easily spend a small amount of money on a huge amount of ramen. It makes sense economically. But I’m not just looking to save money. You can’t be healthy in your body that way, and you definitely can’t be healthy in your soul. Everybody needs some soul food, and ramen doesn’t cut it. So when I do spend money, it’s gonna be on the good stuff.

Keep on moving on. I’m a big believer in pushing through and finding the good in bad situations. In fact, right now my life is a few blips of bad in a great situation, so there’s no reason to ruin things by focusing too hard on insignificant details. I’m doing what I can to get some income. No need to worry.

So for the rest of you going through rough financial times like me (which, let’s be honest, isn’t even close to being as bad as millions of Americans have it) just know that this too shall pass. We’ve got this.

Any advice on how to increase my savings?