Friday, September 11, 2015

One New Thing


I did a thing!

I have a goal that every week I’ll do something new, and this week was a total success! It’s kind of freaky doing anything different, even for someone like me who thrives on the feeling of variety. But I started it and that’s the important thing.

I think this is gonna sound weird to some of you because it’s not a very common thing I did: I joined the Arizona rugby team!

Yup, a rugby team. I joined a sport that I’ve never played before and I honestly wasn’t sure that we had a women’s rugby team on campus until I passed by a booth and a girl told me to show up to an info session.

So I was pretty nervous about showing up to practice. There are a bunch of rookies, so that made me feel a little less out of my depth. It’s not like rugby is a common sport in high schools across America. But I walked onto the pitch (that’s what they call the field) and I had so.much.fun. The thing is, I was so involved in my high school! I played volleyball, softball, and basketball; was the captain of the academic Olympics team, student body president, and sang with the choir. I went from doing all that to nothing in college. I was sort of in a couple clubs but I didn’t feel a very strong connection with anyone. And it wasn’t until I was out there on the pitch, running around with a funny shaped ball, and working my ass off that I realized how much I missed being part of a team. I missed that feeling of comradery you get with a group of girls who are all interested in the same thing as you. It was a huge part of my life and I didn’t know how much of a hole it left me when I gave up on that.
But now I’m filling it! I could’ve joined something I was familiar with like basketball or volleyball, but this way I can expand my horizons a little more and do something unique! How many people can say they just up and joined a club rugby team?! It’s gonna be great. I can feel it.

-E.B

What have ya’ll done that’s new and exciting this week?