Thursday, September 3, 2015

The Dream Job


Last week I took my first education class! It’s a big deal for me because the last two years of school have basically been focused on politics and gen eds. I think Government and history are really interesting and important, but I also hate monotony. When the only thing breaking up my day of political parties and history of Islam is a huge lecture class that I don’t really want to take anyways, I go a little crazy. Now that I’m past that, the only classes I’m taking right now are the ones that I want to!

One of those classes is my Intro to the Teaching Profession. It’s very quickly becoming one of the most interesting and best classes I’ve ever been in, but when I tell people about it I usually get one of two responses. One, they’re really happy for me and interested in what I’m saying or two, the conversation is immediately sidetracked by some form of the statement, “Wow, you want to teach. That’s pretty crazy. I’d never be able to handle that.”

I’ve had the idea in my head of being a teacher since I was little. It was mixed in with my dreams of being a scientist, a princess, and a professional basketball player; but it was there! It wasn’t until I was a junior in high school that the idea really solidified into a goal. I was coaching a couple middle schoolers on how to control where they bumped a volleyball when I realized that I could do this. I could coach a team and be a teacher in the classroom; and I could be happy doing that. I think anyone who’s happy with their career can look back and see the moment when they realized they could actually achieve it.

But there’s still this huge group of people who think I’m batshit crazy for considering it! Especially since I want to teach highschoolers!

So, for the convenience of anyone who would like to question my sanity, here’s why I want to teach

Honestly, I want my summers. I have other dreams. I want to travel.  I want to spend an entire day reading a book I love. I want to enjoy the heat outside of an office. Being a teacher will give me a month of freedom to enjoy myself however I want (yes it’s a month if I’m lucky. The rest of summer is spent preparing for the school year). Summers are good for the soul.

I want to inspire someone. I’m going to teach these kids about government and history. These aren’t the most inspiring subjects, but I know I can do it. If a child takes my class then they’ll walk out of there knowing they can change the world. They’ll know why it’s important to follow politics and they’ll know they can do something about the fucked upness that exists out there.

I value my time more than I value a big paycheck. I’ve never dreamed of owning a big house on a hill. I don’t need a bunch of rooms and a bunch of stuff. It’s just never interested me. As long as I’m comfortable (which isn’t a high bar) then I’m happy. I can spend my time helping people instead of joining the rat race to make a few extra dollars.

I want to provide a safe space. I’m aware that there are some shitty parents out there. It’s not something I’m happy about, and there’s not much I can do about it except give a child a place where they can work hard and learn without looking over their shoulders. As long as there’s one place in their lives where this is possible, then I’ll be happy.

I like teenagers. They’re funny! They’re a little kooky! They’re doing their best to figure out who they are in life and I’m gonna get a front row seat! I might even be able to set a good example of who they want to be, or maybe hand out some critical advice. Either way, I enjoy spending time with those crazy fucks. It’s fun!

I think what irritates me most about people who criticize my path in life is they think their opinion is relevant. If you couldn’t handle highschoolers and would hate to teach, then fucking don’t! I, however, think I’m gonna be great at it.

 I can’t wait to make a difference and the further along I get the more convinced I am that this is what I want to do with my life.



What’s your opinion of teachers? Leave a comment and we’ll talk about it! There’s a very real discussion that needs to happen on the pros and cons of teaching!

2 comments:

  1. Good points. You'll probably have more than a month of summer once you've been teaching for a few years since it's pretty much the same stuff each year not much more planning so that's exciting! Best of luck to you! Keep us posted and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope so! I'm looking forward to fine-tuning things over the summer and spending the rest of the time having fun! Thank you for the support!
      -E.B

      Delete