Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Doggies in the House



My future roommate wants to get a dog for our house and I (being the cynic I am) feel pretty nervous about the whole thing. 

Let's talk about this for a second, about all the factors that go into owning a dog. These animals are basically toddlers that never grow up. They need help getting food, going to the bathroom, and can't be trusted to wander around by themselves; and I'm not ready to have that kind of responsibility. They also need a huge amount of attention. Dogs become part of the family, and like any family members, will get all stupid and rebellious if you don't appreciate them enough. I'm in college. I haven't taken less than 15 credits in Arizona, plus I work, play for the rugby team, and am a member of a student club. Is there any part of all that which suggests I'll be spending a lot of time at home to provide companionship for a puppy?

There's also the awkward notion of this roommate whom I've never met. Now, my other roommate who I know and trust knows and trusts her, but until I meet her that's not enough to earn anything from me. Don't get me wrong, what I do know I like. In our conversation about this she was very adamant about the fact that she doesn't have a heavy work or school schedule, that she'd take financial and physical responsibility for the dog, and that all she expected from us was to love it. 

And fuck I want to believe her. Of all the things I miss about home, the mountains and having a dog are two things that physically hurt sometimes. I can't remember a time in the house when Brownie wasn't there. I'm pretty sure my memory has fucked up and actually inserted into years that I know were before her arrival. Animals are one of the fundamental parts of the human existence in my opinion. So yes, I want a dog in my life, but I want to do it when the time is right and I can do it right. Some of my friends got puppies just because they wanted them and they are now, for the most part, either terribly trained messes who don't get the attention they need, or they ended up back in the pound a year later. There's not a lot I wouldn't do to ensure I never become the kind of person who leaves a dog at the pound after adopting it. 

I hope my new roommate is ready for the responsibility a dog takes, for the dog's sake and for mine. 


-E.B