Tuesday, August 16, 2016

I'm Thankful For A Mattress

Yesterday as I was lying in bed, trying not to close my eyes because I was exhausted but it was barely 9:30, the most amazing realization came over me; I am lying on something I own. 

You have to know some things in order to understand why this is so significant to me. My parents are incredible people who are doing everything they can to ensure I'm happy, successful, and focused on what matters. Because of that mindset they do their best to pay for everything they can, and while that is the exact opposite of a problem, a side-effect of it all is I've never felt self-reliant. Thankfully they're good about letting me live my life and make my own decisions, but in the back of my mind I know I wouldn't be able to make these decisions if they weren't there helping me out. 

Again, this is not a problem, but it does mean that I get ridiculously excited about the fact that I OWN THIS MATTRESS! I worked, saved my own money, and then used that money to buy something functional for myself. This was the first official step towards claiming my independence!

Something I'd like to point out is that I am incredibly lucky this is the reason I'm excited to own a mattress. If I didn't have the parents I do, or they didn't have their solid middle class income to help out, I might be excited for different reasons. There are a lot of kids out there who are ecstatic at the idea of any mattress, owned or no, because they can't remember living in a real house before. There are some kids who were forced out of their homes and away from their comfortable beds who now live in refugee camps. There's a lot of poverty and displacement happening in the world today, and I can only be thankful that of all the different reasons why someone might be happy to own something for the first time in their lives, mine is that I just happened to have loving parents who ensured I didn't need to buy my own mattress until now, because they were there with it already. 

Thanks mama, thanks daddy.

-E.B