Friday, September 2, 2016

My Interests: A Comprehensive List

In a supreme effort to avoid completing anything resembling homework I've decided to expand on my last post (read it here if you're so inclined) and give a comprehensive list of things I consider worth being passionate about in some way or another.

So here you have it; what I consider worthwhile in no particular order

Books:
Harry Potter (the entire series) - J.K. Rowling 
Bel Canto - Anne Patchett
Anthing by Tamora Pierce (Song of the Lioness and Protector of the Small Quartets, and the Trickster's Choice books in particular)
The Book Thief -  Markus Zusak
City of Thieves -  David Benioff
The Tale of Despereaux- Kate DiCamillo
Watchmen - Alan Moore 
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald 
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen (her other books are also amazing but this one makes me swoon)
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini (again, his other books are pretty good too)
The Bastard of Istanbul - Elif Shafak
Snow Falling on Cedars - David Guterson
Out of Darkness - Ashley Hope Perez
Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin

Music (mostly artists and the occasional song)
Young the Giant
Alt-J (especially Breezeblocks, Taro, and Every Other Freckle)
Three Days Grace (their older stuff is best)
Lana Del Rey
Cam
Brad Paisley (Whiskey Lullaby and She's Her Own Woman in particular)
Twenty One Pilots
Electric Love - BORNS
The 1975 (especially If I Believe You and Somebody Else and Chocolate)
Amy Winehouse
The Black Keys
Painting Greys- Emmit Fenn
The Struts
DNA - Clairity
Alessia Cara
Linkin Park (older stuff)
Street Lights - Kanye West
Alabama Shakes
The Chainsmokers
The Birthday Massacre
Justin Timberlake
Queen
Pink Floyd
Friends - Chase Atlantic
Royksopp
I Think I Like You- SirenXX
Seven Lions
The Kill - Thirty Seconds to Mars
Slow Love Slow - Nightwish
Hozier (especially Work Song and Take Me To Church
How to Train Your Dragon Soundtrack - John Powell
The Weeknd
Windows - AWOLNATION
You and I - Lady Gaga
Mr. Brightside - The Killers
I Found - Amber Run
Handclap - Fitz and the Tantrums
Big Data
Lent Et Douloureux - Erik Satie
Tove Lo
Since We've Been Wrong - The Mars Volta
Rihanna
All That Gold - Elohim

Movies:
Sunshine Cleaning
The Lord of the Rings (NOT THE HOBBIT TRILOGY. JUST DON'T)
Silverlinings Playbook
Captain America: Civil War (I'm a sucker for all superhero movies and will always be team Superman but this one was by far the most impressive I've seen)
Mad Max: Fury Road
Mulan
Brave
Star Wars (all of them, yes including episodes I, II, and III)
Spirited Away
Indiana Jones (not the newest one. Fuck that one.)
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Best Exotic Merigold Hotel
Catch Me if You Can
10 Things I Hate About You
A Knight's Tale

Ideas:
Feminism and how to pursue a version of masculinity that isn't so toxic
Environmentalism and its clash with the economy
Black Lives Matter
All forms of racism, including the subconscious prejudices we all (including myself) carry around and how we can fight those on a personal and public level
What would I say if I was interviewed on the Ellen show
The benefit of atheism and secularism to society
LGBTQA+ rights
Social justice in general 
How to be politically correct without pandering/patronizing (ha that was a lot of P's)
Alcohol
Drugs and the benefits we might be ignoring based on society's expectations
How to make the perfect sandwich
Teaching techniques 
Science
Balancing health and fun
Travel
A desire to walk barefoot and the tactics of accomplishing this in Tucson
Politics
Writing creatively 
How to make a sweatshirt quilt
mhm food

If nothing else I hope these lists give you some ideas for yourself and I'd gladly appreciate any suggestions you have book/movie/idea/music-wise. I think you can learn a lot about yourself and others by the kinds of things they're interested in (I will never understand those who say they have no interests/stick to the most basic of subjects), so now you know me a little better, and I was able to remember some books I'd like to re-read! It's a win-win for everyone, look at that. 

-E.B